"I feel like I can't talk any louder" -Kaleigh, Junior Year

"Can you hear her on the other side of the room?" -Ms. Serensky,
biweekly


Sunday, April 17, 2011

THE FACE

  
      I had resigned myself to a class period of careful note taking as I dutifully pulled out a sheet of notebook paper in preparation for the movie. Happily, it soon became clear that this would not be at all like the time we watched Capote and I spent days frantically scribbling quotes and observations. I uncertainly tucked the paper back into my notebook and the day only got better from there. Ms. Serensky was pulling out all the stops in her effort to build suspense about a particular scene (I'm sure you all know where this is going). The anticipation was almost tangible in the room as the television switched on and the DVD loaded. Suddenly, and without warning, "A picture swirls onto the screen" of a truly horrifying visage (Kesey 143). It is "rather startling, even a little shocking" and it elicits exclamations of astonishment from the entire class and a physical display of revulsion from poor Gogol (McEwan 134). "My first impressions of people are never wrong" and this shock and horror was pretty typical of my overall opinion of Moushumi (Wilde 34). Nonetheless, I'm glad she cut such an absurd figure onscreen. I can almost forgive her for being such an all-around terrible and selfish person because of the onscreen amusement she provided. The image of her teenage self is forever burned into my memory and I will always be able to look back at this hilarious moment.

Perhaps Moushumi Should Have Taken a Cue from Ashima

 

2 comments:

  1. Kaleigh, I really like the picture at the top of this entry! It captures most people's expressions perfectly when seeing Moushumi for the first time. When trying to decide which day in AP English 12 was my favorite, the day we watched the Namesake was definitely under consideration. I, of course, enjoyed Moushumi's shockingly horrendous and absurd appearance, but I also enjoyed watching Ms. Serensky's facial expressions throughout the entire movie. Her expressions might have been better than the movie itself, actually. With each absurd moment in the film came a contagious Serensky cackle, which caused everyone in the room to begin laughing hysterically. Clearly we will all vividly remember this day for years to come. I wonder if most people who have watched the movie found Moushumi's appearance to be as funny as our class and Ms. Serensky did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O'Hair, class just hasn't been the same without you these past two days:( Anyhow, that image of Moushumi will be branded into my memory forever, and I hope my teenage daughter greatly resembles her if I have kids. The one question that I have for Ms. Serensky is whether or not she intentionally paused it and stopped it at that point in the movie so that it was the first thing we saw when she turned on the television, or if it just happened to stop at that point. I have been wondering since the moment it happened.

    ReplyDelete