"I feel like I can't talk any louder" -Kaleigh, Junior Year

"Can you hear her on the other side of the room?" -Ms. Serensky,
biweekly


Monday, November 29, 2010

Santa's Helper

      This weekend I volunteered at Holly Hall where my duties involved herding children into a line, asking them their names, and directing them to Santa's lap when their turn came. Even the simplest of Christmas elves should have been able to complete this task with little difficulty, but for some reason I encountered a complication. The problem was that I kept mishearing the kids' names, my worst slip up transformed "Brian" into "Maryan," as in a combination between "Mariah" and "Ryan." I don't think it was entirely my fault that I kept getting the names wrong, kids have a tendency to mumble or lisp, but I also could have realized that Maryan is not a name and that its close cousin Brian is a very common name. Most people probably would not attach much importance to this incident or try to read anything into it, but as an AP English student I can't help myself. I would like to think that the reason I blindly accepted the name Maryan is because I am so tolerant and accepting of diverse names. The less flattering explanation is that I simply have bad hearing, or a strange mental block when it comes to names, but I would like to think I have gained a new sensitivity to unique names after reading The Namesake. At the very least it may have desensitized me in regard to unusual names.

Some kids were pretty upset when Santa butchered their names because of my misinformation

2 comments:

  1. Kaleigh! I work with little kids ages 3-5 over the summer, and I often only understand about 50% of the things they say througout the day. Therefore, I can understand where you would get "Maryan" from "Brian." Thank you for sharing this story...not only does it strongly pertain to the book we just finished, but it is extremely funny. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaleigh, I really enjoyed this amusing story. Rather than having a problem with hearing, I think that reading the Namesake could have made you overly sensitive to unusual names. In an attempt to not offend anyone you just assumed that the children had unique names. I wonder whether one can go too far when trying to appreciate all names.

    ReplyDelete