"I feel like I can't talk any louder" -Kaleigh, Junior Year

"Can you hear her on the other side of the room?" -Ms. Serensky,
biweekly


Wednesday, April 6, 2011

In The Office of Final Judgment

Interviewer- Name?

Subject- I’m sure you’ve heard of me, don’t you recognize me?

Interviewer- No, I don’t think you’ve been here before.

Subject- Well, I must say… Perhaps you would recognize a little tune… I don’t suppose you have a piano?

Interviewer- No such luck. If you could just give me your name I can pull up your file.

(Subject draws himself up to his full height and a lengthy pause ensues)

Subject- I am none other than Clive Linley, although between you and me and I do fancy myself “Vaughan Williams’s heir,” you know, the great composer (23).

Interviewer- I see

Subject- Did you note the part about Vaughan Williams? That’s important.

(Subject attempts to peer across desk to read interview notes)

Interviewer- Of course I did, I’m sure they will be very interested in that Upstairs.

Subject- Upstairs? Where are we?

Interviewer- This is the Office of Final Judgment

Subject- I’m afraid I don’t understand. Is this a government office? I really think I should be going now; I have just a few finishing touches for my Symphony. It was commissioned you know, by Parliament; I beat out McCartney for the job.

Interviewer- Mr. Linley…

Subject- Please call me Clive…

Interviewer- Clive, you need to know, you’re dead, and have been for several hours. Now if we can just sort through your records you can move on.

(Subject seems to be at a loss for words)

Interviewer- Now Clive, there seems to be an interesting incident which occurred recently in the Lake District, can you tell me about that?

Subject- Oh… well… not my proudest moment but… had I known… no idea there was a record, an examination at the end…

Interviewer- I find it is safe to assume that there is usually an examination at the end, take AP English 11. If I had neglected my studies throughout the year I hardly could have expected to pass the AP test.

Subject- But as to neglect, I’m not sure that’s entirely fair to say.

Interviewer- You yourself noted that the woman in question was “looking for a stone to use as a weapon,” and yet you declined to interfere, I don’t know how else to describe it but neglect (95).

Subject- Well when you put it that way… How exactly am I being graded?

Interviewer- On a scale of one to nine

Subject- You mean to ten, wouldn’t that make more sense?

Interviewer- It is based on the system of judgment utilized in AP English 11

Subject- What is it with AP English 11? I really don’t see how it is relevant at all.

Interviewer- Neither did I at first, but as the year went on, I saw how it taught me to analyze more than books in class. I found I picked up on subtleties in other books, as well as movies and I found the improvement in my writing skills invaluable. The essays on my other AP tests were a walk in the park in comparison to AP English essays.

Subject- Well I’m glad you’ve worked that out, but can we bring the attention back to me?

Interviewer- Right, so Lakeland?

Subject- But we could talk about AP English 11 some more if you wanted to.

Interviewer- Don’t avoid the question, that is the most important thing you learn in AP English 11, answer the question, if you don’t, you can’t hope to get higher than a 4.

Subject- A FOUR! Are you suggesting that you would give me a FOUR, just because I was avoiding your questions? ABSURD! You know, I didn’t want to appear arrogant but I am “A genius” and geniuses don’t get fours, they get tens, or nines, or whatever is the highest number in your ridiculous system (143)!

Interviewer- Please don’t shout, I’ll have to call security

(Silence)

Interviewer- Clive, you have to talk eventually

(Silence accompanied by dirty look)

Interviewer- (on intercom) we’ve got a difficult one in Interview Room C, can I have a supervisor in here?

2 comments:

  1. Kaleigh,
    This was an excellent blog entry. First of all I thought it was very creative to do the interview of Clive after his death and I thought it seemed exactly like his personality. I enjoyed the comments that described his actions and facial expressions that made the interview seem so realistic. I thought his avoiding the topic of the Lake District and freaking out about getting a 4 rating were both so funny. Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you did an excellent job of portraying Clive's character in this post. Also I found that some of the points you raise about AP English are topics that we learned but never really think about like picking up an analyzing other books and movies.

    ReplyDelete