"I feel like I can't talk any louder" -Kaleigh, Junior Year

"Can you hear her on the other side of the room?" -Ms. Serensky,
biweekly


Friday, May 13, 2011

What a Character

I need to write a conclusion to a body of two years' worth of work in AP English,” so no pressure right? Note my sarcastic tone, I am actually feeling an inordinate amount of pressure right now, pathos anyone? Perhaps some sympathy from kindhearted audiences? But let’s disembark the pity train, before this gets out of hand. After all, if AP English has taught me anything, it’s how to deal with pressure, so I can do this. I’ve met some real characters in AP English, some of them are classmates (a quick perusal of any of the quotes packets can attest to that), one of them is Ms. Serensky, and the rest are from the parade of literature which we tore apart Junior year. It is to these individuals that I would like to speak:
Harriet Jacobs: I am sorry that I berated you for eliciting my sympathy. In retrospect, this may not have been any sort of nefarious ploy; it was probably just due to the fact that you were a slave and lived in an attic for seven years. You did say you weren’t going to make me feel sorry for you, which was misleading and false. However, this was probably due more to the subject matter than to any sort of plotting or manipulation on your part. Sorry.
Dr. Finch (from Running With Scissors): I am not sorry for berating you, you are a bad father, husband, and doctor and that is all I have to say to you.
Truman Capote: What a “Tiny Terror,” the tales of your escapades will be with me forever, unfortunately, so will your tale of coldblooded murder, frankly, I am still pretty disturbed by it.
I also met some not-real characters this year:
Othello: How can such a good general have such train wreck-level horrifically bad judgment? It was a bad idea to listen to Iago, but it was an even worse idea to kill your wife over a handkerchief, not to mention the fact that the two of you were basically on your honeymoon at that point. Seriously, a handkerchief?
Gogol: I’m not going to yell at you Gogol, I really do feel bad that your wife cheated on you, and that she had a moustache, but mostly that she cheated on you.
Mr. Bunbury: Even though you are not real, you taught me about consonance and I am forever in your debt. Get well soon!
Miss Prism: Do not hire absent-minded romance novelists as nannies; I know it sounds like it would be fun right? But it’s not, resist the temptation.
Goodbye characters!
NOT the same thing as a baby





1 comment:

  1. Kaleigh, I enjoyed this post very much, it was so creative! When writing mine I didn't think about how the characters we read about affected me, but now I realize what an important part they played in our AP English experience. I especially liked your comment to Gogol.

    ReplyDelete